Saturday, March 12, 2011

IF Stir: Hope

Spring Stirrings
Permanent Marker on Smooth Bristol
When the Illustration Friday word arrived, my mind flew to an e-mail I'd received from Joan about a month ago.

I'd been kvetching about the long, long, looonngg, winter we've been having. Between the media hype about 2012 and all the other horrible weather around the country, even the world ( as sadly evidenced in Japan yesterday), I'd gotten very dramatic and written to her that it was beginning to feel like the "end of days".

This was her response:

"Yes, hopefully the end of days will end, and spring will push through. Of course it will. In February I always imagine that the green things are there, under the frozen surface, and they are yawning and stretching and shaking hands with each other and getting out their to-do lists. Making earth tea and inviting each other over and discussing all their plans for the Great Emergence. So much to do, so much to do. Polish those rhizomes, trim those brown bits, sharpen the tips. In just a few weeks, it'll be time to reach up and push through. All those bleary-eyed, saggy-souled winter survivors are waiting."

I've held this wonderful image in my heart for the last few weeks. It's a comforting scene of renewal and survival of the flowers, the trees, the people.

I wish I could share this vision with all the people of Japan. Thank you for letting me share it with you.

3 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful spring painting full of hope. And yes, we need to send that image of hope to the people of Japan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for spending time with us! We love to get your responses:

As Time Goes By... Woof!

As mentioned in the last blog,  it's been 8 years since we started to promote the idea of artistic personalized items. Bronson Hill Art...